Monday, March 7, 2011

A live review of Smith Westerns and Yuck from 02/01/2011

Live Review: Smith Westerns, Yuck and Moodrings

February 1, 2011, Drunken Unicorn, Atlanta
by Emily Hogan

I can probably count on one hand the number of bands I’d see more than once in a 48-hour period. Chicago-based Smith Westerns and British rockers Yuck fit into that category. And I’d do it all over again in a heart beat. I saw them in Athens, GA at the 40 Watt on Monday, January 31. It was just the warm up for the Atlanta show the following day.

There was a nice crowd of people ready to go when I got to the Drunken Unicorn around 9PM. It was raining and that always makes me nervous. I had to get there early because Atlanta-based Mood Rings was opening. They recently released an EP, Sweater Weather Forever, and at first listen I knew I needed to see them live. They were excellent, a great way to start the evening.

Yuck took the stage next and they completely blew me away. What can I say? I have thing for bands that tend to sound like they belong in the early ’90s. They played tracks from their debut album that will be released on February 15 on Fat Possum. This was their first trip to Georgia and of course, they couldn’t leave without playing their song that shares the same name. Besides “Georgia,” they played some of my favorite jams, “Get Away,” “The Wall,” and “Suicide Policemen.” They are a talented group of guys and gal, you do not want to miss them when they come to your neighborhood.

I don’t think I can quite describe how I felt when Smith Westerns took the stage. I’ve been a fan since their self-titled debut was released in 2009. They were everything I expected dream pop rockers to be. Since they recently released Dye It Blonde (Fat Possum) in mid-January, it only made sense for them to play tracks from that album. “Imagine Pt. 3,” “End of the Night,” and “Dye It Blonde” really stood out to me. And of course they had to play favorites from their debut like “Dreams,” “Be My Girl,” and ” Girl In Love.” Guitarist Max Kakacek won me over completely. He is ridiculously good at making it look so effortless. Smith Westerns just got up on stage, did their thing and it was over in about an hour.

I know it’s only February, but this show was my favorite of the year so far. I was completely blown away by all three bands. The bill was perfect, the atmosphere was fun, and we were all having a good time.

Reposted from Dead Journalist

No comments:

Post a Comment