Friday, June 10, 2011

Pocket The Moon celebrate a CD release show on Friday, June 24th

Pocket The Moon celebrate a CD release show at the Drunken Unicorn on Friday, June 24th, 2011.



Pocket the Moon is an indie/alternative/folk band from Atlanta, Georgia, consisting of Sara Crawford (voted Best Local Songwriter of 2010 in Creative Loafing) and Geoff Goodwin (formerly of The Cult Following, Goodland, and Nigh Eve). Combining soulful vocal melodies with layered and skilled instrumentation, Pocket the Moon produces a unique and mellow sound.

Pocket The Moon on Facebook

Richard Parsons will be performing second.



Currently living in Decatur, Georgia. Frequently visiting Los Angeles, California and playing at Tangier and the Silverlake Lounge. Periodically traveling to random parts of the world to dive in the ocean with the sea creatures. Systematically encouraging my friends to move to places that I love to visit regularly but don't want to live in.



Richard Parsons on Facebook

Molly Parden will start the show.



I was introduced to music via piano lessons when I was about 8 years old. I hated it. A year or two or maybe three later, the woman that married my Uncle Jack taught me to play a violin that my Great Uncle Harold hand crafted. Her name is Cheri. Thank you (Aunt) Cheri for your influence.

I kept at it, fiddling around (pun) on the violin in public school from 6th grade to 12th grade with about 3 months of private lessons during my sophomore year of high school. Familiarity with my beloved stringed instrument made the transition to guitar almost painless. Almost. Guitar strings are a lot thicker than violin strings, so my fingertips had a blast becoming more calloused over the course of about 2 weeks.

I learned to play guitar when I was 15. A man by the name of Eric taught me the chords E, A, and perhaps G, lent me his Takamine for several glorious weeks, and helped my mother order my very first guitar as a surprise present for my 16th birthday a few months later. Thank you, Eric, for your help.

Playing the violin was no longer a priority in my life when I met my guitar. I even carried my guitar into orchestra class some mornings to impress my 5 classmates with the John Mayer and Decemberists covers that I learned. The most impressed was probably Monica Jenison, who encouraged me to continue singing and strumming, whom I credit with my current musical endeavours. Thank you, Monica, for your encouragement.

Shortly after high school, I met Hannah and Joel Chandler. Joel asked me one day as I sat outside the coffee shop at which he was employed if I composed my own songs. I ashamedly answered, "No", and began embarking on the very challenge of crafting a song. Joel took part in some of my first recordings and even challenged me to write a country song. The product? "Please, Baby Please (The Country Song)".

I'm 22 years old today and I have not attended college. Instead, I have spent my time working part time and meeting many, many musicians and people from the center of and south of Atlanta. I feel ok about that. It is not popular or necessarily accepted to skip out on college, but I have high hopes that music is my calling. Debut album drops in April.



Molly Parden on Facebook

$5, 21+
Doors @ 9 pm

Our Concert Calendar

Pocket The Moon on Livestream

Watch live streaming video from drunkenunicorn at livestream.com

Molly Parden on Livestream

Watch live streaming video from drunkenunicorn at livestream.com

No comments:

Post a Comment