Friday, June 11, 2010

MC Chris cranks it up on Friday, June 25th

MC Chris will be performing at the Drunken Unicorn on Friday, June 25th.



Growing up in the north shore suburbs of Chicago, rapper mc chris (Christopher Ward) spent his childhood being tormented by the wampa, playing with his Yoda action figure and dreaming of Star Wars. Because he was too young to remember seeing the films in the theater (though he did watch them later over and over on Betamax tapes), his first memory of Star Wars revolves around hanging out with everyone's favorite droid.

"I had this plush Artoo that beeped, and there's this picture of me sleeping by the Christmas tree waiting for Santa and I'm using Artoo as a pillow," mc chris says. "Wishful sleeping, maybe?"

"I also had this toy called the Hoth wampa with the snappy claws. and my oldest brother Joe used to whisper really loud in my ear when I was napping, 'HOTH WAMPA!'" mc chris continues. "It would scare the heck out of me! He was very peculiar in his methods of torture. Years later when he came to see me do a show in Philly where he lives I had the whole audience shout 'Hoth wampa' at him. Take that!"

While Hoth gave him chills, it was Endor and its inhabitants that provided a backdrop for his imagination. "I liked the Ewoks mostly because I played in the woods non-stop as a kid, and it just kinda played into that tree house building impulse I always had," mc chris explains. "Making traps in the woods -- I loved to do that. I like the intense opening of the movie too; it was very old school. I was young so it blew my mind and I thought Luke was a goner. I had no idea he could flip. The speeder bike chase was also amazing, but the stand-up arcade game that was out at the same time was impossible and I always died."

Often while playing with his Star Wars toys, a few other franchises made a cameo appearance. "I like it when universes collide like LXG or Transformers and the Young Avengers," mc chris says. "I had some specific stuff, for some reason I only got to be the short characters in the universe. I never got to be Han or Luke; I was always Artoo or Yoda. So I made Yoda be able to flip and gave Artoo thrusters and later these things came to be. I must have been a prophetic child."

"When I was little I really liked Yoda and I made the most out of playing him because he was small," mc chris continues. "He could still beat you with his cane and flip all over the place like a ninja turtle. I liked Yoda in the games and the cartoons because he really gets to strut his stuff, especially in Sith. Of all the characters I think he is the most mysterious and it's his story I'm most interested in. Where did he come from? What was he like as a young man? Was he ever found out on Dagobah? It's fascinating all the things that can happen to one person."

In addition to the iconic characters, the musical score of the saga also impressed him. "I love John Williams," mc chris says. "I even listen to his Olympics' theme to get pumped. He also did themes to Harry Potter and all this stuff I like. I think we like him for the same reason we like Star Wars -- these cultural currents are so common. We know his music so well and it soothes us. It helps us chill out and escape the trappings of every day life. Soundtracks help us connect shots and scenes. It's kinda like movie glue. I wouldn't change a thing, though I would ask my DJ to shred it up a little maybe. I think John Williams chopped up would be lots of fun to hear."

As an adult, mc chris enjoys gathering various collectibles, which he often receives from his own fans. "Kids give me stuff at shows -- mainly Jar Jar and Boba Fett stuff because those are my favorites," mc chris says. "I do enjoy having some stuff, but it's getting out of hand; my apartment looks like a Star Wars birthday party! I like my fan paintings that kids have given me that feature me and Boba Fett or Greedo with a boombox or Darth Vader with mic. I like it when people are creative. Sometimes I'll buy something but it's hard for me not to give it away at a show or to my nephew. Hasbro's been very cool to me and given me all kinds of hook ups so I got the new McQuarrie Fett and stormtrooper. I like the little baby versions of everything too. I think if I get really rich I may get some of the nice stuff like framed paintings and things, but I think most of my gear is headed into fan's hands. After all, Yoda was very anti-materialistic."

Fans of mc chris have good reason to shower him with Force-sensitive creations. Often times referred to as the "Godfather of Nerdcore," mc chris has made a name for himself combining uniquely cool music with rap lyrics saturated in pop culture nostalgia. With songs like "Robot Dog," "Tractor Beam" and most notably "Fett's Vette," it's easy to see why sci-fi fans connect with his music.

"Nerdcore is nerd-centric rap over computer-made beats," mc chris explains. "I was doing this way before they came up with the term for the genre, but thankfully they consider me a part of their scene. Of course if I could place my vote, I just think of it as 'mc chris music.' My rap doesn't really sound like other rap because my voice is high and my beats are weird. It's a genre in and of itself. I try to meet my own standards, which is difficult. I'm a Star Wars fan, and I love other stuff too like Starship Troopers and Enders Game. I infuse my life and my fans' lives into this big nerd bouillabaisse and spit it back out in the form of rap. I think it's good for me to remember to shout out my nerd preferences and let people know what I'm into because it's about being an individual and being yourself to the fullest. Kids used to consume lots of Sci-fi fantasy stuff but then have to go out into the real world and feel bad about it. I'm happy to report that I think that's changing thanks to directors like George Lucas and Peter Jackson, and video games and all the things that have made being a nerd a little easier."

"I was living in Jersey and I hated my job," mc chris recalls. "I was living in this repurposed patio and so Star Wars just kinda helped me zap out of it. I could just focus on this one song. Because I like Star Wars, I had made lots of references to it in songs I recorded on an 8-track at school. It's just a part of me and a part of my life. Any rapper will tell you it's all about telling the truth about where you're from and who you are."

Another part of his life includes a stint as a voice actor and screenwriter. While following his interest in music, mc chris also pursued a career in film and TV. He attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago where he studied video production and screenwriting, and later transferred to New York University where he interned on "The Adventures for Pete and Pete," and wrote screenplays on the side. After college, mc chris worked as a production assistant on various projects including Michael Moore's series, "The Awful Truth." He also began performing at the Upright Citizen's Brigade Theater in New York City. He eventually crossed paths with David Willis, creator of "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" and the voice actor for its characters Carl and Meatwad. This meeting led to a stint as an animator on the Adult Swim show "Sealab 2021," where he also provided the voice for the characters Hesh and MC Pee Pants. He also wrote for "Sealab 2021" and "The Brak Show."

But since music was his first love, he decided to take a break from Adult Swim and concentrate more on his career as a rapper. He has released five records and tours regularly. In fact, while on tour mc chris often likes to schedule impromptu group outings with fans to the local movie theaters. "I saw Revenge of the Sith in Eugene, Oregon the first year I toured and we sold out the theater," mc chris recalls. "The theater managers had 'I want candy' nametags; it was really fun. We're doing it again twice this summer on tour. We're gonna see Transformers (again in Eugene) and then Cloak & Dagger in Austin, Texas after our show at Emo's. I would totally love to show any of the Star Wars films! I think the fan favorite is Empire, so you let me know when and where I can show it and I'm in!"

On a break from his busy schedule, mc chris was able to attend Celebration IV and hang out with the Adult Swim crew. "I got to be in Seth Green's entourage while he was promoting Robot Chicken: Star Wars," mc chris says. "The coolest thing I saw was probably old-school Cylons tied with a black stormtrooper sniper. Nothing's weird to me about it because everyone seems so happy to be there!"

Because of his love for Star Wars and the fans themselves, it was inevitable that the ultimate fan group -- the 501st Legion -- would take notice and induct him as an honorary member. "It feels great to be a member and I love it when 501st come to my shows," mc chris smiles. "And the fans like it too for pictures. I hope they keep coming in greater numbers!"

"I'm proud to call myself a Star Wars fan because I'm not afraid of liking the main act," mc chris explains. "I don't need to be so cool and like some off-set Sci-fi that only a cult following has interest in. I like the big show with the top-of-line robots and spaceships. I love Akira Kurosawa, samurais, ninjas and kung fu -- and putting them in space just rules. Star Wars is always going to be cool to me because I like playing video games and the games LucasArts has in store look great. The TV shows look cool too. And even though the story continues in new formats, I'll always remember the toys and playing Star Wars with my brothers in a small house in Illinois; and being stoked about the Return of Jedi and running through the neighborhood with new pictures from magazines." - Bonnie Burton / Starwars.com

MC Chris website

MC Lars FT. YTCracker is performing second.



"I want to be someone who people recognize and want to come to see, but stayed true to their art and message through their whole career. I want to be able to tour the world and play sold out shows. I'd love to have some mainstream exposure to subversively bring my ideas into the popular eye, as long as I don't have to compromise what I'm doing for the sake of popularity. I want to work with more artists that I admire and be known for having one of the most fun live touring shows that has ever hit the road. I'd like to die having put out one of the most original greatest hits albums in the history of the popular music. That would be awesome."

- MC Lars

MC Lars website

Math The Band are the openers



Math the Band is equal parts Atom and His Package and Andrew WK. Sampled casio sk1 drums, paired with solid square waves and more BPMs than can possibly be considered reasonable. Started by a sixteen year old kid who was kicked out of his high school pop-punk band, Math the Band has been going strong for 5 years, playing well over 500 shows throughout the US, Mexico and Canada, with bands such as Andrew WK, Matt and Kim, Polysics and Bob Doland.
(I sincerely apologize for writing in the third person.)

Math The Band on Myspace

$13 in adv, $15 DOS, 18+
Doors @ 9 pm

Advance tickets available @ Ticket Alternative, Criminal Records,
Decatur CD, Fantasyland Records and the following CD Warehouse locations: Buford, Duluth, Kennesaw, Lawrenceville and Roswell.

No comments:

Post a Comment